After my top ten tourist spots in Luzon list, my plan was to write a blog post about my top ten most popular tourist destinations in the Visayas region before coming up with top ten tourist attractions in Mindanao but I can’t seem to make up my mind about the popular attractions in Visayas because there are just so many and it’s hard to narrow it down. Hmm..ok, wait! I will try it now and blog about the famous places and tourism attractions in the center of the Philipines since well my Mindanao famous places list will be more like a wish list of travels as I have not traveled as much as I want to in the provinces of Mindanao.
Top Philippine tourist destinations would of course include places ng mga bisaya.
For those who are unfamiliar with the Visayas Region let me start this list by pointing out that nowhere in the entire Philippine archipelago is it more evident that we are one nation of many islands than looking at the map of the Philippines and zeroing your eyes on the middle part and see the Visayas group of islands. I am from Cebu and Cebu is the heart of the Philippines ( I can hear murmurs of ‘not regionalistic pride again’ lol) and my province is just one of the many island provinces in the Visayas.
And the most popular mode of going around the Visayan provinces is of course by big boats or fast ferries so if you are a typical Bisaya you are I bet comfortable riding big shipping lines as well as motorized pumpboats and small canoes 🙂 I know a lot of Tagalogs who have not ridden in big marine vessels and are nauseated just by thinking about it (does that makes us Bisaya better? Hahahha No I am not trying to start a region war here lol)
So to the list, yes the list… here it is:
Top Ten Most Popular Tourist Destinations in the Visayas
- Boracay Island – Of course a lot has been said about why this island with a long stretch of powdery white sand and a very alive night life is one of the most famous tourist spots not only for the Visayas but for the entire Philippines. Boracay has been listed as among the best island destination the world. Hurray!
Tourists abound in Boracay Island
- Cebu Island – Well what can I say but the title ‘queen city of the south’ is attache to Cebu for very good reasons from world-class beaches and hotels to awesome diving spots and great Cebuano hospitality 🙂 I of course have tons of posts about my home province. Best time to visit Cebu is during the weeklong celebration of the Sinulog Festival.
- Bohol Island – The Department of Tourism of the Philippines list Bohol as among the top destinations in the country, attracting huge numbers of local and foreign tourists annually. I have 5 posts with comprehensive details and pictures of tourist spots in Bohol which you can check.
- Dumaguete City and Negros Oriental – Dumaguete City is a university city with the Siliman University standing tall and proud at its core. Gentle people and old rural charm is what makes this city so enticing plus you can explore Apo Island and Casaroro falls while there. And don’t forget your silvanas!
This stream comes from the Casaroro Falls water system
- Guimaras Island – One of the tiniest island provinces in the Visayas, Guimaras boast more than its world-famous mangoes but pristine beaches as well. Your gateway to Guimaras is by way of Iloilo port and riding a motorized pump boat and hopefully you have pre-arrange transportation once you arrived in Guimaras as there is a dearth of public transport available in the island.
- Iloilo – The greatest thing about Iloilo which is part of the collective Panay Island is I think their foods. I swear I love going there for the butterscotch and biscocho of Biscocho Haus, and the aligue rice of Breakwater. Yum.
- Siquijor Island – Another small island in the Visayas that boasts of white sand beaches is Siquijor. Now maybe is the best time to explore and travel to Siquijor as it is still mostly untouched and tourists are but a few. Go there before it becomes even more accessible encouraging more tourists to check it in droves. Best ways to go to Siquijor is by way of Cebu – Dumaguete – Siguijor or fly from Manila to Dumaguete then Siquijor. The island is also surrounded by mysticism as Siquijor is widely recognize in the Philippines as the go to place to get in touch with faith healers, secure amulets and love potions too. 🙂 Click this to read about THE MYSTICAL ISLAND.
- Leyte – You can find the famous landing spot (and the Leyte Landing statue) of General Douglas McArthur and company in Palo,Leyte as well as the place who became famous for the largest naval battle that took place in world history aka Battle of Leyte Gulf . And you can also explore the Sto Nino Shrine and Museum which served as the presidential mansion of ex-Philippine president and Dictator Ferdinand Marcos and wife, Imelda in Leyte when they were in power. You will be bowled over by the collection of extravagantly expensive to the nth degree furnishings, paintings, gigantic chandelier and ceiling fans. Your eyes will practically pop out of their sockets considering that those left in their Leyte mansion are just a few of what that mansion originally houses.A lot of their things in the mansion (ostentatious and expensive if I may add) were either lost to looters or well just disappeared unaccounted when they were force out of power. If you are after beaches err this province is not an ideal place for that especially that they have mostly black sand on the main island although Leyte has some tiny islands with white sand beaches. But Leyte is best for those who loves caves and list spelunking adventures as the best trip activity!
“I shall return” landing spot in Palo, Leyte
- Samar Island – Samar is the 3rd largest island of the Philippine archipelago after Luzon Island and Mindanao Island. Tourist who are into nature exploration is encourage to come visit Samar as this island has a wealth of caves for your spelunking adventures, water falls and dense jungles for exploration. And yes you can find there the Philippines’ longest bridge the San Juanico Bridge connecting the provinces of Leyte and Samar. Biri Rock Formations are also gaining popularity, you can also visit this is Samar. Allen Samar is the gateway for Roro vehicles who wants to cross to the island of Luzon via Matnog in Sorsogon.
- Bacolod in Negros Occidental – This city is a favorite tourist attraction in sugarlandia Negros Occidental. Visit this city during the annual celebration of its colorful Masskara Festival and jive with the Negrenses.
If you noticed my list of the top ten tourist attractions in the Visayas region are anchored on the major cities or the Visayas provinces itself. And the reason being is that within each island provinces are tourism gems and tourist spots that beg to be discussed in details :)…either that or I am really just too lazy to research about official tourism data hehhehe
Thanks for reading; this is by far my longest blog post. Hurray? 🙂