Where to request for medical assistance aside from DSWD and PCSO? Patients facing health crisis may go to the Office of the Vice President (OVP) to seek for medical assistance. The main OVP office is in Manila and there are satellite offices like VP Sara’s Cebu OVP branch.
OVP is open to accepting clients / patients every working day starting at 8 AM. Weekend and holidays the office is closed. Go to where is nearest your location or residence.
The OVP in Cebu is located in Escario Central, near the provincial capitol. For landmark, you can find a McDonalds store in the compound.
TYPE OF MEDICAL ASSISTANCE OFFERED BY THE OVP
Patient or the representative may file for medical assistance for the following cases:
- Chemotherapy, Radiation Therapy, Brachytherapy
- Medicines / Implant / Medical Equipment / Assistive Device
- Diagnostic Procedure (laboratory tests, imaging scans, etc) / Dialysis
The OVP will not give cash, only Guarantee Letter (GL). Also, the OVP will only give assistance every 6 months to a patient.
SUBMIT REQUIRED DOCUMENTS
Bring all original documents as they may be asked during the interview, for validation. Other documents aside from those listed below may be asked depending on the case and assessment of the processor.
This post is dedicated to share information on processing of medical assistance for medicines. If you are looking for info to ask OVP for wheelchair, pay hospital bill or promissory note, and others, please visit the website of the OVP.
Requirements to Request for Medicines
- Original copy of Doctor’s prescription. Must be dated within 3 months.
- Original copy of patient’s medical abstract and treatment protocol (for those undergoing chemo) or medical certificate. Must be dated within 3 months.
- Original copy of Medicine quotation from any of the OVP’s accredited drug stores or distributors.
- Original copy of Social case study report from DSWD or CSDWO.
- Clear photocopy of patient’s ID and authorized representative (back to back).
- Authorization Letter, if patient will have a representative to process the application.
- Submit an accomplished Medical Application form – an OVP staff will give this form to the patient or representative when you get to the office.
For cancer patients, the maximum amount that may be granted by the OVP is P20,000. This may change without prior notice.
My husband processed my request for medical assistance in the OVP. I am a breast cancer patient currently undergoing chemotherapy. We submitted a formal quotation for medicines which we got from Globo Asiatico Cebu branch for the amount of P15,104.00. The OVP granted the full amount, so I was able to get free medicine for my chemo session 2 and 1 medicine reserved for session 5. I am very thankful to the OVP and Vice President Sara Duterte for the medical assistance, laking tulong!
I am going to also apply for PCSO medical assistance, hoping to get free medicines for my chemo session number 3.
The best part is that the whole process from application, evaluation, and processing only takes 1 day in OVP. The staff are very efficient.
Quick look of the process – Patient or the authorized representative submits complete documents, then will be endorsed to an interviewer, then an assessor, then will right away get approval or denial. For those approved, a Guarantee Letter will be issued on the same day. The patient or representative can then proceed to the drugstore or the pharma distributor to get the medicines using the GL.
List of OVP Accredited Drug Store and Distributor in CEBU
These are the OVP accredited drug stores and distributors in Cebu. Those who are seeking medical assistance to buy prescribed medicines may ask for a formal quotation from these accredited drugstores in Cebu. The quotation is free.
- Paglaum Drugstore is located almost in front of Vicente Sotto Hospital
- Globo Asiatico is located in Gorordo Avenue, almost across QC Pavillion building
- South Star Drug – there is a branch in Robinsons Cybergate
These are the only accredited hospitals of the OVP, if your doctor gives you a request for diagnostic test, laboratory test, imaging scans like CT scan, MRI, bone scan, ultrasound, dialysis, you may go to these hospital and medical facilities to ask for a formal quotation.
1. Chong Hua Hospital
2. Cebu Doctors University Hospital
3. Mendero Medical Center
4. St Vincent General Hospital
5. Southwestern University Medical Center
6. Cebu City Medical Center
7. Vicente Sotto Medical Center
8. Visayas Med – Cebu
9. Sto Nino Dialysis Center, Inc
10. University of Cebu Medical Center Inc
11. Medipro Dialysis and Diagnostic Center
Take note that an OVP Guarantee Letter will be given, and not cash. In the GL the name of the hospital, pharmacy, or laboratory will be indicated. So if you will be approved for the OVP medical assistance, you will have the laboratory test or imaging scan conducted in the hospital or medical center indicated in the GL.
Go to the OVP early and be patient since it is expected that there will be lots of applicants for the medical assistance.